Total Pageviews

Sunday 8 July 2012

The Governor throws the gates wide open

A few years ago, whenever I passed the Raj Bhavan in Kolkata I had this urge to know what the majestic gates beheld. I wanted to step in and see, feel and get a sense of the regality and the royal nature of the heritage building.
My wish was fulfilled during the tenure of Shri Gopalkrishna Gandhi as Governor of State. I had written an article and a poem on the 26/11 Mumbai Terror attacks and when I sent a copy of the same, I was delighted when I was invited to the Raj Bhavan.
I remember that day distinctly in my mind. It was a bright sunny February morning, and I had an Accounts exam. However, the exam timings were clashing with the time that had been allotted to me at the Raj Bhavan. Thus, my school Principal and the authorities had been very kind and made the necessary adjustments. While the others would begin their exam at 9:30a.m, I was in school at 7:45 because my paper would begin at 8:00a.m. I sat in the Principal's office to write that paper!

What a day it was! And totally worth it! It was a wonderful experience in the Raj Bhavan and I still have the pictures which I cherish. However, I am not allowed to share them publicly!
This morning when I woke up and read this article in The Times of India, I was genuinely elated for all the students who would be allowed this opportunity, now.

For all those who will soon step foot on the premises of His Excellency Governor of West Bengal:
You're in for a wonderful time, some cute surprises and a once-in-a-lifetime experience!

The link to the article is as follows:


http://www1.lite.epaper.timesofindia.com/mobile.aspx?article=yes&pageid=2&edlabel=TOIKM&mydateHid=08-07-2012&pubname=&edname=&articleid=Ar00203&format=&publabel=TOI&max=true

No comments:

Post a Comment