Total Pageviews

Wednesday 15 August 2012

Bharat Mata ki Jai

Returning from the Independence Day celebrations in college, with the patriotism in me at its peak, I made my way home. I smiled when I saw two little children dressed as freedom fighters, walking hand in hand ahead of their mother. The girl looked like Jhansi ki Rani, only younger and her little brother was dressed in stark white kurta-pyjama and as he had coupled it with a black Indian jacket, his attire was typical to that of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru. Today, 66 years after our Independence there might be less than a handful of Indians who have had the privilege to see the freedom fighters in person, but thanks to our socio-cultural systems; every little child knows how to embody them.

The clothes are the same, the attire perfect to every bit of accessory. However, the spirit of patriotism is missing. The love of the land. The addressal of the country as Mother. The rejoicement of our freedom. The emotion of a free, democratic, united Nation. Nothing is heartfelt. And I say this not because I wish to site the typical examples about the 'McDonaldisation' of our country or point fingers at the rampant corruption, but because I noticed something which was seemingly regular.

In college, during the programme I had heard the age old songs, written and sung in soulful voices, reflecting a truly heartfelt love for the nation. The songs ranged from Aye mere watan ke logon and Vande Mataram to Sare jahan se acha and Hum honge kamyab!  However, on the same walk back home when I noticed the little ones dressed as characters from the past, I noticed something which had the opposite effect of a smile. One of the local clubs(popularly known as para clubs in Bengali) had hoisted a flag and paid homage to Mahatma Gandhi and Jawaharlal Nehru  and set up a music console with two power packed speakers which were intended to arouse a sense of belonging to the nation, among passersby. Alas! what was blaring was Emran Hashmi's latest hit Bharat Mata ki Jai!

As the lads danced vulgarly to Sone ki chidiya, dengue malaria, gud bhi hai gobar bhi Bharat Mata ki jai, I thought to myself, "Now beat this!" They are addressing the country with due respect and they haven't even forgotten the typical Indian word 'Jai'. Its just the dengue and malaria, gud and gobar in between, which you have to overlook!
I walked on, ignoring the loud music and their dirty dance. Maybe this is why we call ourselves a free Nation, everyone is free to do what they want! 

1 comment:

  1. But the freedom is yet to touch all aspects of our life. Case in point - the so-called dictatorial rule in some states of the country!

    ReplyDelete