Total Pageviews

Sunday 2 September 2012

Street Names

As I was sitting with my mother watching The Bourne Ultimatum, I drew myself into a debate: Why most of the streets in the West are numericals and which nomenclature is better?

As is widely known, the streets in USA are seldom named after their freedom fighters. Its 5th Avenue and 12th Street, and so on. While one runs horizontal and the other vertical, greater assistance is at hand with the directions clearly marked at crossroads.
On the contrary, we have named our streets after Nehru, Gandhi and Teresa. With all due respect to the eminent personalities, I see no significance in this system of naming the roads.
If you're on 7th Avenue, you know 8th and 6th are on opposite sides. But if you're on Mahatma Gandhi Road, you're practically unaided to find your way to Raja Rammohan Roy Sarani!


Which side of the debate are you on?

No comments:

Post a Comment