Total Pageviews

Wednesday 24 October 2012

Taken for granted

I am a citizen of Kolkata, born and brought up here.I live in Kolkata,crib about it, complain, dislike and disregard it but at the same time, there are moments when I can't help but love it, appreciate it, rejoice its glory. Just about every verb in the dictionary can befit my city.

In the past 20 years of my life, I've always looked forward to the Durga Puja and enjoyed it. However, this year was an exception. There was no frenzy, no looking-forward-to feeling. If you asked me why I'd have a zillion answers, knowing fully well that none of them would be valid.
I heard the dhak, saw the pandal, worshipped the devi. Whether I resounded the dhak mentally, noticed the intricate work of the pandal, is another story. I worshiped the Goddess with all due respect, it is the enjoyment, the glee and the emotion associated which just went missing somehow.

And this I realized, when I complained to my mother today saying, "Mumma my legs hurt and I don't know why 'cuz I haven't really walked much!" She replied instantaneously, " You didn't see the Puja this year, so the Goddess is just leaving a reminder before she wishes us farewell!"


No comments:

Post a Comment